Not all garbage should be thrown away — at least according to the Freegans, a group of dumpster-divers who live off unspoiled, discarded food.
- more than meets the eye (idiom) – more than you can see
- affluent – wealthy, rich
- vegan – a vegan is a vegetarian who also does not eat or use any animal products
- salvage – save, repair and keep
- dumpsters – large garbage cans
- haul – to carry or drag away
- squishy – soft and squeezable
- guacamole – a Mexican dip made from avocados
- produce (n) – fruit and vegetables
- in abundance – plentiful, easily found
- stir fry – a Chinese dish made in a wok
- ridiculous – crazy, silly
- massive – very big
Answer the following:
- 1 According to freegans, ____ of the food on sale in supermarkets in the US goes unsold. (40%)
- Who were the chicken strips for? (Leah’s dog)
- One of the freegans found ______ in abundance (bread)
- According to Leah, one in ___ kids goes hungry in New York City every night. (three)
- Would you have dinner with the freegans?
- Do you waste a lot of food?
- Are you good at saving money?
- Talk about some ways that you try to save money.
- The word freegan is a combination of two words – ‘free’ and ‘vegan’. Combining words is quite common in English. For example:
- brunch – breakfast and lunch
- sheeple – sheep and people; sheeple are people who do not think for themselves
- blog – a combination of web and log
- The phrase ‘out of necessity‘ is useful for describing a situation where people had no choice in something
- “Leah and Tate Jones became freegans out of necessity”